Wednesday, January 27, 2016

New in the Studio: All the Flowers at LACMA


About 6 months ago I began a drawing project at the LA County Museum of Art. 
Working my way through the galleries I have been recording every flower from 
every object on view with line drawings in pencil, my goal to make a book. 
At the time I was also experimenting with incorporating Cyanotype, a UV 
sensitive photo process into some abstract paintings. Since then, the 2 ideas 
have cross-pollinated yielding a series of Cyanotype paintings.



 

  

studio shot


 also working on some abstract pieces experimenting with brushstrokes of Cyanotype






 working with the sun and plant debris to expose a layer of cyanotype 

 Another exposure using sand and pebbles to block the sunlight in areas. 
A bit of rain starts the developing process.



 The sketch book of drawings from LACMA. So far I have worked in the Southeast 
Asian galleries, the Islamic Art Now exhibition, European painting, sculpture, 
porcelain and silver, ancient art of the Middle East and the Photo galleries. Just started 
in the Ab-Ex and modern areas. Since the collection has over 100,000 objects and 
flowers are by far the most common motif, I estimate it will take me at least 
another year to finish the drawings.


  Here's a few favorites from the museum so far: 



 



 








 

1 comment: